Founded in 1992 after the “civil unrest” in Los Angeles, Reel Image Inc. (RII) was originally a community lending organization known as Rebuild LA (RLA). Though RLA was able to create businesses and jobs in minority communities, the board ultimately concluded in 2002 the best way to impact the psyche of the disenfranchised residents in minority communities, experiencing extreme economic hardship, was to focus on improving the portrayal of minorities in television and film. As a result, they restructured RLA and created Reel Image Inc. (RII), a 501c3.
Today, RII is committed to its mission to improve diversity in front of and behind the cameras in Hollywood by developing the next generation of diverse, multiplatform content creators and helping them gain access to entertainment industry professionals.
RII achieves its mission by the following ways:
- • Creating educational and job training programs for minority and female film students.
- • Providing grants to minority and female film students in need of funding for their thesis project.
- • Connecting aspiring minority and female content creators with essential resources at all stages of project development and distribution.
- • Producing in-house culturally enriching micro-budget projects offering a positive portrayal of minorities and women.
What makes RII different is its board and Management, which collectively offers a deep knowledge in the following areas:
- • Marketing and sales
- • Television and media research
- • Television production
- • Film production and finance
- • Accounting and consulting for structuring international financial transactions
Key Strategic Allies:
- • ABC
- • CBS
- • Fox
- • HBO
- • Writers Guild of America, West
- • Sundance Institute
- • The Walter Kaitz Foundation
- • T.D. Jakes Entertainment
- • Sony
- • The Office of Los Angeles
Mayor, Eric Garcetti
- • The Black List
- • Dream Magic Studios